in Physical Strength

Protein Power!

There was a time when I was new to the world of physical culture.  It was a time when of taking broscience seriously. That time had passed. And while I am still fairly new the study of sports science some things have already presented themselves to be as fact, while others have fallen by the wayside.
whey-protein

Whey protein (whey or any of the other variations) is one of the biggest supplements of any serious (or one that likes to think that they are serious) gym-goer. I used to be one. I used to think that I needed to buy the 5 pound drum of whey protein in order to increase my muscle mass. The operative word being: needed.

In his book Practical Programming for Strength Training, Mark Rippetoe states that “[p]rotein supplementation is useful in that it can help an athlete get a sufficient protein intake, making up the difference between that found in the diet and the recommended level.”

Not only is Rippetoe stating that majority of protein should come from ones regular diet, but as the name supplement suggests supplementation with protein is only necessary when your regular diet still leaves you lacking.

Last but not least: below is an informative (and not that long, less than 6 minutes) video by Elliot Hulse on the necessity of whey protein. Check it out!

Ultimately, is protein really necessary for you?
————————————————————————–
Words cited:
Rippetoe, Mark, Lon Kilgore, and Glenn Pendlay,
Practical Programming for Strength Training. Wichita Falls, TX: Aasgaard, 2008